Thursday, September 2, 2010

Blog 2

"Did You Know?"

First of all let me say WOW. That video was crazy awesome and information filled. I think my brain may have detonated trying to absorb all of it. I can't believe that China will soon be the number one English speaking country in the world. That is so strange to me. How does that even work? India has more honors students than America even has students? I thought America was a pretty awesome place but this video opens my eyes to us being just a small blip on the map compared to everyone else. The progression of technology is so amazing. One in eight of the couples that got married last year met online. My parents probably never imagined when they were my age that they would marry someone they met online but my dad married my step mother who he met on eharmony.com in 2006. The video raised a very good question. Who and how did we get the answers that we look on Google from? Honestly I have no idea. I Google EVERYTHING. How did people entertain themselves before texting and social networking websites? Did they read? Were they more active? Is that why obesity is so common now? The progression of technology in my lifetime was enormous but I didn't even notice. But you can bet i have my eyes on it now. I don't want to be left in the land of the technologically illiterate and obsolete. 

Mr. Winkle Wakes
  This satiric video of Rip Van Winkle running around in modern times being scared of the technology in the business office and the hospital shows the progression of technology in the world except in the classroom of which stays exactly the same. The business office has printers, fax machines, and skype conversations  and the hospital contains ventilators, x-ray machines, and lasers whereas the school still has its teacher that lectures while the students take notes. In the back of the classroom sits a dilapidated and dusty computer. Perhaps the teacher attempted to start being more technologically literate but she gave up and when back to what she knew. I think the classroom needs to updated but not completely changed. I do like the idea of actively engaging students in the classroom but I think the methods can be updated with power points and smart boards.  

The Importance of Creativity 
From a young age we are programmed to be intelligent rather than creative. My parents for example constantly told us "turn off that music and study your chemistry" or "you don't need to take dance". They always said that there is no money in the arts. And quite frankly I have an awesome voice but I don't sing. Instead I study and read. The piece of paper that I'll receive in a few years that says I'm educated is more important in our society than being a "starving artist".
 But I think we need to encourage and support the arts. What if   Luwig Van Beethoven would have been told to work on his math? Then who would have written Fur Elise? Behind every great artist, musician, and composer has to be someone supporting them. We need to let children know that its ok to make mistakes and ask questions. After all the only stupid question is the one that is never asked. I really enjoyed this video. it was the longest but it pulled me right in.

Harness Your Students'  Digital Smarts
I really like how she uses technology to teach students. Her students are thinkers which makes it so they are self motivated and empowers them as people. Her students are so young yet they are so technologically literate. They make me feel so far behind. the students aren't creatively lassoed in which is very exciting to see. I loved how she said that she isn't only teaching them but they are teaching her. I think that teachers can learn a lot from   their students of they allow themselves to.


3 comments:

  1. watch for an explanation of the math in Did You Know. I will post it later this week in the class blog.

    Powerpoint slides ( not even Google slides) and smart boards are NOT the solution. You will discover that, I hope, in EDM310 this semester.

    Good musicians are often good mathematicians. Twenty-two minutes was long?

    You may be behind technologically, but EDM310 is designed to catch you up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you said about the Did You Know video, I said almost the exact same thing. I had no idea that America was soo much farther behind than the rest of the world like China and India. That video amazed me , I was completely clueless!
    Also about the last video with the awesomely creative teacher, I agree that if teachers let them, students can also teach us something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took a class on Visual Rhetoric...and we discussed heavily on how many of us may fall to being technologically illiterate.

    The way advertisement has advanced over the years is one example of how some are brainwashing the many.

    ReplyDelete