Sunday, November 14, 2010

Project 6 summary

     My project was a questionnaire on majors, why those majors were chosen, and why they chose the University of South Alabama.72% of the people questioned were majors in elementary education, 6% were social science/secondary, 6% were English/ secondary education, 6% were physical education, 6% were math and secondary education,and the remaining one was "other". Which is consistent with the people I have met at South. 
     56% of students were transfers.76% of those questioned chose the University of South Alabama because of the location. The next biggest reason was friends and family pressure with one third of the people questioned. Which to me is enlightening. I honestly do not think that is a valid reason and I find it kind of sad. Scholarships, programs, and athletics were at the bottom of the ranks.
     I find it interesting that only 39% of people have family in the education field and that 72% of people have changed their major, three people changed it three times. On a scale of on to ten on their experiences at south the responses were even across the board. Which tells me that people either like it or tolerate it at south.
   History, performing arts, and english are the top three subjects that students are the most passionate about

     This information tells me that some students are extremely apathetic and unhappy with the University of South Alabama. It disappoints me that some students are only here because they got pressured into coming here; which probably contributes to the unhappiness. I think choosing a school should be more centered around the programs and scholarships available.
     We have so many elementary education majors.  It seems like every education major is elementary education. There is a high demand and great flexibility in that field. I like kids I just like them in small amounts with more adults than just me in charge.I really enjoyed this project. I learned alot about my fellow students and I liked the google form and the graphs the summary it created. I think it will be a great assignment for my future students.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment