Thursday, October 14, 2010

Additional Assignment 2



In my opinion what Mr. Mitra did was the perfect example of the class motto of "I don't know let's find out." He put the computers out for those who had no idea how to use them and they figured it out. Such as when he had the students make themselves understandable to the speech to type tool. Also people that aren't motivated can learn but they may or may not learn as much as a motivated student. Because generally if you don't care and put effort into learning then not alot of learning will take place. I do believe that if a learner wants to learn and is motivated to learn they can. There is nothing that can't be accomplished if you want to learn or do something, whether it be children or adults.
For a student to teach themselves they need the tools. Such as a computer, or books, or just another person. A person or a group of people to bounce ideas off of is a tremendous help to me. Because I am not just trying to absorb information but I also get to see what other people think and if I don't grasp something I can ask someone else and get their take on the subject.
There are three basic types of motivation. Fear motivation is the classic "Do this or else...." Intrinsic motivation is just "I want to clean my room because I'll feel good about doing what I need to do." There is also incentive motivation which is "If you clean your room I'll give you twenty dollars." Fear motivation stops working once the threats aren't followed through or the fearful gets away from fear source. Intrinsic is the best one because it comes from within, and incentive motivation requires the incentive to get bigger over time or it stops working. And for a student to be motivated to learn one of these three methods needs to be used. Obviously the fear and incentive should be avoided but sometimes it needs to be done.
I teach myself when I have no one else around to instruct me how to do something but I learn best by watching and repetition. Whether it be a new recipe or EDM 310. But I would much rather have a teacher present to show me how to do something because I'm usually not confident that I have the right idea or methods.
The biggest thing I took away is that I don't want to be a teacher that is too good to teach somewhere that needs me. Sure everyone's dream is to teach at their alma mater or a nice school with all the best but honestly those places don't need me. I think all aspiring teachers should teach where they are needed. Maybe not for their whole career if that isn't where their heart is but the experience can change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment