Sunday, October 3, 2010

Blog 6

The Networked Student
I really enjoyed the way it was presented. It wasn't your typical "watch someone talk" video and I thought that was pretty cool. The idea of a networked student seems intimidating yet exciting. I kind of fear that they'll know too much I guess. And that is a terrible terrible thought. I guess what I mean is I fear an arrogant know it all student. But those are inevitable in my experience. But a self motivated information seeking student will be amazing. I have a great passion for learning and reading and I love to see that quality in other people.
I agree that teachers will always be needed. There always needs to be someone there to show students how to use and discerne the information they find. In addition there are always guidelines and regulations that need to be followed in order to do a project correctly.
7th Grader's Personal Learning Enviroment
Her learning enviroment is so much more condensed than mine. Mine consists of four notebooks, four books, and my desktop that has my papers and online assignments. Whereas all of hers is paperless. In addition if I lose or spill something on my stuff it is either lost of damaged. But hers can be accessed on any computer. She seems really mature and savvy. Not your average twelve year old. I really like all the organization and knowledge she has.
The Machine is Changing
I liked the origin of the word whatever and how he uses clips from tv shows. The South Park "whatever whatever i do what I want" is actually an impression that is heard alot in my circle of friends. My generation does have really short attention span. We sit on Youtube watching mindless amusing clips such as "Charlie bit My Finger". Honestly I watched that and thought "Where are the parents?". They let their child hurt another one of their children because they thought it was funny and that other people would find it funny. Its really not. That toddler was screaming and obviously it really hurt. Youtube being used as a confessional is pretty cool. Sometimes people can't talk to other people about things they are feeling so they talk to "themselves" and they know someone will watch and put their input. Which will be a comfort to some. Also it can be a huge medium for others to see your ideas. The Free hugs video is a favorite of mine. Funny thing is I went to Bayfest last night and there was a guy with a shirt that said "free hugs" and I hugged him. We need to go back to whatever as in "By Whatever means neessary".

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sharon I am right their with you on I am not sure how I would react to a student that thinks they know it all. I see it like you to on how to use this video for motivation to be the best teacher possible. On the 7th grader I agree that was cool on how she had everything from school to personal things she had it all on this one site. The last video showed me how over people can change a word to an expression they can use for many different uses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well we must continually stress the importance of questions. We must always set the bar high. We must not be arrogant ourselves. (Have you watched the Week 7 assignment yet? You'll understand this comment better when you do.)

    I hope your PLN includes people. Interesting people. People all over the world!

    YouTube as the confessional. Fascinating thought. I am writing a post about The Machine is Changing Us. Watch for it.

    ReplyDelete