Sunday, October 10, 2010

Blog 7

The Last Lecture
I had watched his abridged "Last Lecture" on Oprah and I've seen the interveiw with his wife after his death and its still hard to believe that he is dead. I hope that if I ever find out that I am terminal that I can be that positive and influential.
When you are a kid it is so easy to dream and say "When I grow up..." Its the holding on to that attitude that is the kicker. Honestly I let go of whatever dreams I had as a kid so long ago that I don't even remember what they were. How sad is that? All I remember is saying that I wanted to marry someone rich. Which I'm sure that that does not count as a dream. Its totally true that the ones who care about you are the ones who push you. Because if they push you then they believe in you. You have to learn to appreciate the people who are constantly on your case. I wish I would have realized that five years ago.
"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, we just have to learn to play the hand"-Randy Pausch. This quote from him really spoke to me. We spend so much time being bummed about a bad situation or a "flesh brick wall" that we hit that we forget that we can live through it. We just need to learn to pick ourselves up and put in some effort. If Randy Pausch can be positve and educate even through his 3-6 months left to live then by God I can live with not having everything I want. If you want something bad enough nothing can stop you.
"So my next piece of advice is, you just have to decide if you're a Tigger or an Eeyore. I think I'm clear where I stand on the great Tigger/Eeyore debate. Never lose the childlike wonder. It's just too important. It's what drives us."-Randy Pausch. I would like to think that I am hands down a Tigger. But as I mention pretty much every blog I get frustrated. I get discouraged. I wonder "what the hell am I doing?". This happens about 3 times a week. Then my Tigger jumps in with "Hello? Just bounce you got this" I wish my Tigger was permanent. Because we all know, the wonderful thing about Tiggers are Tiggers are a wonderful thing. Their tops are made out of rubber and their bottoms are made out of springs. Bouncy bouncy fun fun fun fun fun (believe it or not that was purely memory from my three year old little brother's toy).
This was hands down my favorite assignment. Seems like it was just in time and I really needed to hear him again.


1 comment:

  1. I agree; “The Last Lecture” was truly an inspirational video! I think your dream of wanting to marry a rich man is a dream, why would it not be? Pausch had some dreams that didn’t make too much sense at the time either but he eventually achieved them. For example, his dream to win big stuff animals may seem stupid and silly but it was his dream. With that in mind, Sharon you may find yourself married to a rich man in the future, if it is your dream, go make it a reality! Well great post Sharon, I enjoyed reading your thought provoking comments, great job!

    ReplyDelete